Power systems and High Voltage Engineering
The focus areas of research in power systems and high voltage engineering are distribution networks, their system solutions and reliability engineering, power system components´ load capacity and ageing, control and monitoring systems including computer applications, automation and communication solutions, end use analysis and power quality.
The strategic focus areas of teaching and research are:
- Loading, aging, diagnostics and condition monitoring of components such as lines, transformers, switchgear, generators.
- New methods for power system fault indication and location, especially utilization of fast phenomena like traveling waves, transients and partial discharges.
- Power system technology, reliability engineering, optimal planning.
- ICT-applications in power systems. Automation systems, measurements, communication, Smart Grids.
- Energy efficiency, electric vehicle charging systems, integration of distributed energy resources.
Research is performed in close collaboration with the electrical industry, utilities and authorities.
The group is led by Professor Matti Lehtonen.